Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Inappropriate Smiling

I suffer from a malady that, until recently, I thought was quite unique.  Unfortunately, I’ve passed it on to my oldest son.  After a little research, I found that we’re not alone.  There’s even a wiki-how-to that addresses the specific problem.

My son and I both suffer from smiling at inappropriate times.

How is this even an issue worth talking about?  What’s the big deal about smiling at inappropriate times?  Consider if you will, that your loving wife has had a horrible day.  The children have disobeyed all day, the youngest stayed up straight through his nap, the dog has thrown up 3 times, the eldest has flooded the toilet, and now you’ve finally come home.  The look of exasperation is evident on her face, the look of hope at a moment’s respite clear in her eyes.

“I’m so glad you’re home, it’s been a day,” says she.
And you know what’s coming, but you have to say it anyway, “Oh, I won’t be here for very long.  I forgot to tell you that I’ve got a school board meeting tonight.”
“I’ve cooked dinner,” she says, desperately hoping it will change the reality of the situation.
“I’m sorry,” is about the only response left.

The temperature in the room drops noticeably.  She’s needed someone to unload her day on, and now she’s got a reason.  You’re in deep trouble.  Before you know it, she’s in full fire hose mode, and you’re thinking, ‘Great, can this get any worse.’  And then it happens.  You feel the slight tug at the corner of your mouth and you think ‘Oh, please no.  Don’t let me smile.  Not right now.’  But the more you think about it, the more unavoidable it becomes.  The more solemn the situation is, the more undeniable the urge to grin.

In the earlier days of our marriage, this particular proclivity of mine served to throw a gallon of fuel on an already raging fire.  Fortunately, after twelve years of marriage, my wife has grown tolerant of my cheese-eating grin, and even stops to make fun of me when they occur.  In a way, it sort of helps diffuse the situation...now.

My poor son has a long way to go though.  The other day, we were in Burger King, and he had packed his little belly as tight as he could.  At this point, the only way to continue eating is to rear your head back and let fly with a belch big enough to shake the heavens.  He made me proud.  His mother, not so much.  She immediately set in to correct him on the proper etiquette of belching in public, and I saw the smile spread across his little face.

“This is not funny, Griffin,” his mother said.  And something in my brain immediately kicked in, and I thought, ‘Yeah, it actually is kind of funny.’  So, I quickly got up and went to get a refill on my already full drink.

Now armed with this knowledge, can you even begin to fathom what happens when I go in to correct him for some error, only to see him struggling to keep the grin off his face?  The results tend to be about as far from correction as can be.  He starts smiling, then I start smiling, and before you know it, there’s not a bit of righteous fury or indignation left in me.  Honestly, how do you convince a kid of the seriousness of the situation when you can’t keep a smirk off your own face?

Maybe someday there will be a cure for this social malady.  Until then, my son and I will suffer in silence…grinning like hyenas.

10 comments:

  1. Uncle,

    I enjoyed reading your posts! It's nice to read some stories from home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a Thomas thing. And I got it from dad! lol You just can't help it!! I agree with Kendal I love hearing these stories about home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HAVE IT TOO. THE WORST TIME WAS WHEN I WAS ASKED TO FIRE SOMEONE AND THE NEWS CAME OUT WITH, THAT'S RIGHT A GREAT BIG GRIN. THE POOR EMPLOYEE ACTUALLY SAID, "IS THERE SOMETHING FUNNY ABOUT THIS?!" THAT WAS THE DAY I RESOLVED NEVER TO HAVE TO FIRE ANYONE AGAIN AND TO TRY TO CONTROL MY INAPPROPRIATE SMILING AND NERVOUS LAUGH. I'VE BEEN STUDYING ABOUT IT AND IT'S ACTUALLY A GENETIC PROBLEM CALLED CRANIAL NERVE MISROUTING. GOOD LUCK! NEITHER OF MY CHILDREN GOT IT, THANK GOODNESS. BUT YOUR BOY SURE DOES HAVE A SWEET SMILE! REBECCA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BECCA! Griffin and I have an understanding that it's going to happen between us, but it's a little harder with the rest of the world.

      I can't imagine having it come up in a situation where you are firing someone. I hope you never experience that again.

      Delete
  4. It is so refreshing to read this! My husband has this same problem and it used to irritate me. Now we laugh about it, and it does help diffuse arguments between us as well. Unfortunately our 8 yr old daughter has inherited this trait and disciplining her has been tough, to say the least. I used to get on to her for smiling when she was in trouble and now I just let it go because I realize she can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so odd to get your comment tonight! We were just talking about inappropriate smiling with our babysitter not 10 minutes ago. Seems she has the same problem growing up. Maybe this is the least talked about epidemic facing our country! =)

      Delete
  5. ugh i have this ugliness too, my cousin thought i was a psychopath for a while till' i explained it to her. the worst time for me was when my friend told me her mom passed away from breast cancer, i felt terrible for her but in order for her to not see me smiling like an idiot i hugged her before she seen my reaction...all i could think what wrong with me!lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that. I know exactly how unsettling that can be. I usually have to hang my head when giving bad news, because its something about having eye contact with the other person that seems to set me off. I guess we all find our ways to cope with it! Keep on hugging!

      Delete
  6. can someone find a damn solution to this damn problem

    ReplyDelete