Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Big Hearted Boy

Griffin is probably about the best big brother in the whole world.  He watches over Gage like a mother hen, and has on more than one occasion saved his little brother from imminent trouble or physical harm.  Above that, though, he has about the biggest heart I’ve ever seen.  He probably gets that from his mother, and I’m glad that he does.

He’s very sensitive to people that are hurt or sick, but beyond that, he likes to share the good things of life with people he is close to.  The main incident I’m thinking of happened about a month ago. 

Griffin had finished eating his lunch, and as usual, he asked, “Can I have something else?”  Well, it turned out that the ‘else’ he wanted was an orange.  I peeled and gave it to him.  As usual, Gage was lagging behind his brother by a good ten minutes.  Upon seeing the orange Griffin was eating, he also voiced his desire to get one.
“I’m sorry,” I said.  “That’s the last orange.”
“We don’t have anymore,” Griffin asked, staring at the last two wedges in his hand.
“No,” I said.
So, my big boy peeled the last two wedges apart and handed one to his brother.  Somehow, in the midst of the handoff, the boys managed to drop the wedge that was being shared.  In typical fashion, Piper was there to snag the falling fruit before it even hit the floor.

Griffin stared in shock for a moment, then with tears in his eyes, he sniffled and handed the last wedge to his little brother.  He was more determined to share than to eat that last piece he wanted so bad.

It was an event that caused feelings of both heartache and pride.  Walking to the pantry, I grabbed a package of Spidey Snacks and tossed them on the table to my grown up boy.  The tears instantly melted away and he tore in to the package with gusto…offering his little bro a couple of the sweet treats as well.

Yup, Griffin is about the best big brother I’ve ever seen.

3 comments:

  1. This is precious!! I just about cried! I miss my little boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Miranda. We miss you too. Can't wait to see you in a few days! You are still coming in on the 13th, I hope?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! When Dex and Alex were young (3 &6) they were like that too. Now I think the scenario would go a little different at our house. Dexter - Can I have dessert? Mom - You can have some fruit. Dexter - What? I can't have anything else? (dejected)Never mind. Alex - I'll have some fruit! Dexter - (Mocking) "I'll have some fruit."

    And the rest of the conversation would have gone downhill from there. LOL Proud of Griff for being such an awesome big brother!!

    ReplyDelete