Friday, September 17, 2010

It's A Trap!

I’ve been playing quite a bit of Starcraft 2, lately.  I’ve been fortunate to get in at least a couple of hours a week.  Though I’m not very good at it, I’ve even gotten a chance to hook up with my nephew, in Texas, and play an online match between us and the computer.  He’s much further advanced in the game than I am.

I’m glad we get to spend some time together playing online.  He’s taken a job down there and lives at least six hours away from us.  I miss him, but that’s just part of life.  I often wonder if he’s had the same thoughts that I had when I got out of college and started into the workforce.  I think it can best be put in the words of Admiral Ackbar of the Rebel Alliance when he said, “It’s A Trap!”

Like so many other things in life, you spend your time working toward and looking forward to something, only to realize that once you have it, you’re locked into it for life.  It quickly begins to lose its flavor and you find yourself feeling cheated by what you’ve been left with.  And no, I’m not talking about marriage here, you jaded people who had it pop into your mind.

I remember being a little kid and watching my dad lather his face up to shave.  I even used to go in and get shaving cream on my face and scrape it off with an empty shaving tool.  I thought it was the greatest thing in the world…until I actually had to start doing it for real.  But by the time you reach that point, there’s no turning back.  You’re locked in for the rest of your life.

Here’s another one for you.  Guys, remember how we couldn’t wait until we got to mow the whole yard all by ourselves?  How did that turn out for us?  You’re stuck mowing it for decades until you can raise your own son to pass the ability off on.  And even at that, they’re only going to do it for a certain number of years. 

On the one hand, I can hardly wait until my sons are capable of doing it on their own.  On the other hand, I’m being a bit hypocritical by subjecting them to what I’ve gone through.  But that’s the way of life.  And you can bet I’m building it up for all it’s worth.  “Hey boys, won’t it be fun when you can run the lawnmower yourselves!”

There are so many things we just can’t understand the impact of until we’ve gone through it.  These are decisions we make and then live with the consequences the rest of our lives.  I guess since you brought up marriage earlier, we might as well say something about it too.

It’s impossible to foresee the results of what our unions will bring.  I’m of the opinion that if young lovers could get a good glimpse of what life is like in that adjustment period of the first few years, there would be a lot less marriages.  The upside is that there’s no limit on the joy two people can have if they decide to work together.  When husband and wife both determine that they don’t just want to exist together and instead want happiness, that’s when things get good. 

But, since you insisted on bringing up such a heavy topic, let me leave you on a light-hearted note.

What’s the longest sentence in the English language?


I do.  =)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, I am a little late reading this post. I got a few days behind on reading. I enjoyed playing with you the other night too. Very interesting post....I think the key is to stay focused on what really matters in life. If we view our jobs as a way to make money to care for our families and advance the kingdom of God, then it doesn't seem like a trap after all. Now mowing the yard on the other hand....haha

    ReplyDelete