Friday, September 23, 2011

Leggo My Eggo

A new entry in the crazy letter writing campaign!  I’m hoping this will land in the hands of someone with a sense of humor.  I’ll post an answer from Kellog if and when I receive one.

Dear Eggo,
I wanted to take a moment to write your company and let you know how much our family enjoys your products.  They are invaluable for those mornings when the kids need a quick breakfast before rushing out the door to school.  The one exception to this rule is our three year-old who will eat them for breakfast every day whether we are in a rush or not.  Sometimes he’ll even ask for them for lunch or dinner.  As the most experienced Eggo connoisseur in our house, his favorite is Blueberry.  The rest of us tend toward Buttermilk.

I do have one issue I’d like to discuss with you, though.  A recent event in our house has opened my eyes to the dangers of unrestrained Eggo Waffle toppings.  A few weeks ago, my wife and I took a little more time than normal getting ready in the morning.  When I came out to check on the kids, the six year-old had already attempted to fix his younger brother some breakfast.  From the side, I could tell that it was supposed to be an Eggo waffle, but the view from the top was totally different.  Beneath a sheer layer of syrup and from atop the waffled surface stood a veritable mountain of butter that completely covered the edges of the round treat and rose to a peak in the center.  It must have been applied with a mason’s trowel.  There was so much, we could have made a topographical map of my three year-olds breakfast.

As I stood there looking at the heap of saturated fats my boy was trying to ingest, something inside me snapped.  I realized that this was unhealthy, and there had to be a better way.  Taking one of the freshly toasted Eggos up, I tasted it, for the first time, without any toppings.  I was surprised at how flavorful it was just by itself!  And that’s when the idea hit me.  Your product comes with everything it needs to make a delicious breakfast!  Especially when you factor in the multiple choices like Blueberry, Strawberry, and even Chocolate Chip.  At that moment, I changed into an Eggo Purist.

I realize that this is an individual journey that each person must make in their own time, but I believe your company has the power and responsibility to influence people in this direction.  I checked your website and made note of your various Eggo products and the pictures displayed on the front of each box.  To your credit, there are many that are presented in a “Purist friendly” manner (no toppings).  However, I’m afraid you’ll find that most of these tend toward your specialized products and not the standard round waffles:
Non-Purist
Moderate Purist
Purist
Buttermilk
Nutri-Grain Whole Wheat
Chocolate Chip
Homestyle
Nutri-Grain Low Fat
Cinnamon Toast
Blueberry
FiberPlus Calcium Buttermilk
French Toast
Strawberry
FiberPlus Antioxidants Chocolate Chip
Homestyle Minis
Cinnamon Brown Sugar


Thick & Fluffy



If you take the butter out of the picture and take the syrup out of the picture, I still believe your product is strong enough to stand on its own.  Maybe this slight change in presentation could help influence people toward a healthier Purist lifestyle.  And, in the end, isn’t it all about keeping your customers alive longer so they can purchase more of your delicious products?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Michael Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment