Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Branson Vacation Diary

Thursday, August 12, 2010
                We got started later than I wanted, and stopped by Burger King on the way out of town for dinner.  Can you believe it cost over $20 for the entire family to eat fast food?!?  Oh well, its vacation and even though we’ll get to Branson around 10 p.m., we’re going to have a good time.

Friday, August 13, 2010
                It’s definitely Friday the 13th.  The kids were almost too excited to go to sleep last night, but that didn’t keep them from waking up at their normal time.  The bed we slept in was different from what we’re used to, but not too uncomfortable.  We all snoozed pretty hard once we finally got to sleep.  We went to IHOP for breakfast this morning.  Who in their right mind pays $40 for breakfast?!?  We should have gone back to Burger King.
                The water park was a blast.  Griffin took to the water slides like an otter.  Gage only wanted to stay in the 3 foot pool with the basket ball goals and shoot.  Problem is, he can’t touch bottom and he wants to be lifted up to shoot the ball in the basket.  Oh, well.  It’s vacation.
                We went to the grocery store and bought food to make lunches.  Ah, yes, that’s more my speed.  After a nap, we dropped Tamara off at Factory Merchants Outlet and I took the boys to Dino Golf.  Even though it was like playing in a blast furnace, the boys had fun.  Gage is pretty decent, and Griffin even got a hole-in-one on the course.  I’ll have to teach them not to walk through other people’s games.  I think we made a family from Idaho mad when Griffin accidentally stopped one of their balls.
                It was a fun day.

Saturday, August 14, 2010
                It can’t be morning already.  Why wouldn’t they go to sleep last night?  Dunkin’ donuts for breakfast; it’s not healthy, but it’s cheap and fast.  Off to the water park again with the boys.  This time, I’m alone.  Mommy is shopping at Tanger, and I’m doing Daddy time with the kids.  Thankfully Griffin is pretty self-reliant.  If I could just strap Gage to my back and stand in the basketball pool, he’d be happy too.  I can only lift him for so long before we have to go do something else.
                After three hours of water fun, we met Tamara back at the hotel room, took showers, and headed to Pizza Hut where we demolished an entire pizza.  We took a nap, and then headed to the Dixie Stampede.  The boys loved it!  Griffin was so transfixed on the show that we had to remind him to eat.  I enjoyed most of the show.  There were a few parts I missed, since I was on bathroom duty.  I’d take Gage, then have to take Griffin, then take Gage back... 
                The Yankees ended up winning, but still, it was a good day.  I’m very tired.

Sunday, August 15, 2010
                I can’t feel my arms.  I don’t know if it’s from doing “Gage presses” in the basketball pool or from this cursed bed.  My spine feels fused and I ache all over.  It’s time for another day at the pool…yeah.
                We went to Cracker Barrel and ate breakfast.  I looked at the ticket and cried.  We should have gone back to IHOP.  After getting back to the hotel and changing, we headed to the pool.  I got to spend most of my time with Griffin today, and it was good.  We played for at least three hours before heading back to the hotel room.  Fuddruckers was on the menu today, and my boys destroyed their food.  Playing in the pool works up an appetite.
                It was too late in the day for a nap, so we played mini-golf at the indoor course.  We had a lot of fun, and Tamara ended up beating us all.  I don’t think that’s ever happened before.
                We turned in really early.

Monday, August 16, 2010 (Last Day)
                We took a long time in getting ready this morning, so we ended up eating brunch at the Grand Country Buffet.  The people there are really nice, and the food is pretty good too.
                We headed out to Talking Rocks Cavern.  It’s a really kid friendly place.  They have a mini-golf course, a place to pan for precious stones in a water sluice, and an indoor and outdoor wooden crawling maze.  Griffin had a blast playing in them.  Gage only eyed them suspiciously and never went beyond the entrance.  Griffin may be my little caver.  It’s still too early to tell with Gage.
                We went down into the cavern on the tour.  Griffin did really well, even though it was one of the more tedious tours that we’ve taken.  Gage, he…well…I’m just not doing that again.  Not until he’s much older.
                The trip home went by pretty fast.  We stopped and ate at Noodles in Fayetteville.  I’ve resolved to quit looking at food receipts while on vacation.  It only gives me heartburn.  We probably should have gone back to Cracker Barrel.
                Around the time we got back to our hometown, I looked at my wife and said, “Why do I feel like I’ve just survived this vacation.”  She smiled and looked at me with pity in her eyes and said, “Did you imagine it was going to go differently?”
                I guess I expected us to have a more relaxing time all the way around, but in the end, I do think fun was had by all.  At the very least, we’ve got some good memories.         

No comments:

Post a Comment