Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Who's Your Daddy?

A bit of strangeness has started happening around our house over this last week.  Gage, the newly minted 3 year old, has suddenly switched from calling us Mommy and Daddy to calling us Mom and Dad.
He wasn’t timid or tentative about it, either.  He jumped right in and never looked back, even though our five year old tried many times to correct him.

The first time it happened, it just struck my ears as being wrong.  Part of me sat there waiting for that final ‘E’ sound so that I knew the sentence was over.  It never came.  It was quite a surprise.  I don’t know what I was expecting; after all, very few people move into their adult life and still call their parents ‘Mommy’ and ‘Daddy’.  I should have known it was eventually going to happen.  I suppose I thought that Griffin would come home from school one day and be “too cool” to call his parents by their usual moniker and switch to ‘Mom’ and ‘Dad’.  Then, little brother would pick up on the trend and follow suit.

I have absolutely no idea what caused it.  Did he hear it on a TV show?  Did one of his friends at Mother’s Day Out do it?  Did he listen to what Tamara and I call our parents and try to emulate us?  It could be any or none of those things.  Maybe he just wanted to be unique.

One thing’s for sure, he’s our little independent boy, and he blazed the trail into this new stage.  And if I’m being totally honest, I kind of like it!  It makes me smile when I hear such a little boy address me in such a “grown up” way.

Griffin, for his part, still calls us Mommy and Daddy, and I like that too. 

Haven…she just kind of screeches at us, but we’ll work through that.

No comments:

Post a Comment