Tuesday, May 3, 2011

People and Shapes

I’m not sure how it really happened.  I just came home one day and Tamara said, “You need to listen to this.”
“Gage, what shape is daddy?”

My little three year old boy looked up and scrutinized me for a moment before saying, “A circle.”  I admit, it was none too flattering, as my mind quickly began to consider, ‘Holy cow, am I really that round?’  Then she asked the next question.

“What shape is mommy?”

His reply, “Mmmm, an octagon.”

It was then that I understood his assessment had a lot less to do with our appearance and more to do  with…well, I’m not really sure what.  So, for your reading pleasure, I have compiled the following table of people and their alleged shapes, according to my three year old:

Name
Estimated Shape
Daddy
Circle
Mommy
Hexagon
Griffin
Circle
Gage
Circle
Haven
Circle


Mammy
Hexagon
Pa
Circle


Me-me
Hexagon
Pa-paw
Circle


Uncle Russ
Circle
Aunt Charlotte
Hexagon
Miranda
Hexagon
Larissa
Hexagon


Uncle Kenny
Circle
Aunt Karen
Hexagon
Kendal
Circle
Karinda
Hexagon


Uncle Darren
Circle
Aunt Christy
Hexagon
Ashley
Hexagon


Uncle Charles
Circle
Aunt Neen
Hexagon
Dexter
Circle
Alex
Hexagon


Piper
Hexagon

At first brush, you might be tempted to say that he believes all girls to be hexagons and all boys to be circles, but baby sister is the fly in the ointment for that theory.  She is the lone girl that is consistently a circle no matter how many times you ask him.  Add to this the fact that mommy started out as an octagon, but now moves between a circle and a hexagon.  We were informed, yesterday, that when she’s nice, she’s a circle; when she’s mean, she’s a hexagon.

I really don’t know what equation his little mind uses to figure all this out, but if your name isn’t on the list above and you have a burning desire to know your shape, send me an e-mail and I’ll have Gage do a free reading on you.

1 comment:

  1. Aunt Neen/DexterMay 6, 2011 at 7:34 PM

    I have to say that Hexagon is fine with me. I would have said trapezoid or rhombus, but hexagon has an "x" in it and you know how I love words with "x's" in them!! Actually, we were all just flattered that he thought of us. :)

    ReplyDelete