Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Diapers are NOT magic

Tuesday morning, as Gage lay down on the bathroom rug to get his diaper changed, he uttered one of the funniest things I’ve heard in a while.  I had unfastened his nighttime pullup, and was getting some wipes to clean him.  He pulled the diaper out from underneath him and tossed it on the tile, to which I said, “Gage, don’t pull that off yet, I’m not ready.”  His response was priceless, “I like taking off diapers!  It’s magic!”

As cute as that may be, I’m here to tell you that un-potty-trained diaper removal is in no wise magical.  For proof, I only need to look back at Sunday, to an un-diapering event that will forever be burnt into my memory…

We had not gotten a lot of sleep the night before, Tamara and I.  We were completely exhausted, and the baby woke up extra early wanting to be fed.  Tamara stumbled into the nursery fighting against a migraine that would last almost the entire day, and did what she could to feed the baby.  I took over after that, giving Haven a bottle of formula.

About midway through that bottle, Griffin materializes from around the corner and announces that Gage has poo-poo’s in his diaper.  This didn’t worry me a great deal, because Gage almost always mistakes a saturated overnight diaper for one having poop in it.  “Gage,” I called, “come here.”  A few moments later, my three year old waddles around the corner sporting a bowlegged shuffle that looks like he’s been on a horse for the past two days.  I sent him on to the bathroom.

Had I known two crucial things, at this point, it would have changed the whole course of the morning.  The first thing: Gage was NOT in a nighttime diaper, he was in a daytime diaper.  For those of you not versed in the subtle differences between the two, bear in mind that a nighttime diaper is designed to hold more.  The second: Gage was not done peeing in said diaper.

Like they say, hindsight is 20/20, and without that foreknowledge, I elected to continue feeding sister her bottle.  Upon finishing, I laid her down in the crib and walked toward the bathroom.  Gage was not lying down on the rug, as I had told him to do, but what bothered me more was the puddle growing under his right foot.  I quickly got him off his feet and started pulling his pj’s off.  The bathroom rug underneath him saturated almost instantly.  There was nothing left to do but take a step back, take a deep breath, and decide on the next course of action.  So I did take a step back, right into a puddle of pee.

At this point, I’m pretty thoroughly grossed out.  I pulled a Clorox wipe out from underneath the cabinet, cleaned my foot, and wiped it off on a part of the rug that was still dry.  I told Gage that he was not to get up, and then took the wet pj bottoms to the laundry room. 

Upon my return, I finally started taking care of the heart of the matter.  In my zeal to get the whole ordeal over, I gripped the sides of the pullup and yanked the Velcro tabs away from their fasteners.  My face and arms were instantly showered with tiny specks of urine.  I had no idea that was even possible.  The second tab on the other side did the exact same thing.  It was disgusting, but this far into the process, all that was left to do was wipe my face and move on.

When I lay the pullup open, I could see the liquid washing back and forth inside of it, like waves in a bathtub.  I actually had to go get a second diaper to lay on top of the used one and soak up the excess.

The next 30 minutes was eaten up with giving Gage a bath, washing the rug, and mopping the bathroom floor.  If ever there was a morning to be in bed with a migraine, this was it.

So, you see how I can say that taking off diapers isn’t necessarily a magical thing.  In my estimation, potty-trained children are where the real magic is at.

1 comment:

  1. Normally, I would disagree that migraines are never preferable to diaper duty, but not in this case. I much preferred having the migraine because that situation was just nasty! You are right, potty trained children are MAGICAL little beings!

    -Tamara

    ReplyDelete