Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Resolution

How are those New Year’s Resolutions coming?  Some of us have plunged in wholeheartedly and are beginning to feel the reality of the goals set in.  Personally, I’d like to get in better shape by exercising and losing a little bit of weight, but I’ve got to be honest, as the alarm went off at 5 am, I was beginning to question my goal and chosen method of getting there.  “Come on,” I reasoned, “I stayed up till nearly midnight supporting my football team.  Don’t I deserve a little extra sleep?” (It’s funny the lame excuses that seem valid at that hour of the morning).

That led me to wonder, “What kind of other resolutions are people making out there, and are they having a hard time keeping at them already?”  A quick search of the internet led to a list of the most popular New Year’s Resolutions of 2011.  I’ve included it here for your enjoyment:

Most Popular New Year’s Resolutions of 2011
1.       Lose weight
2.       Eat, Drink, Learn, or try something new
3.       Set an attainable athletic goal, like running a 5 or 10K
4.       Save money
5.       Be happy
6.       Take a photo every day for a year
7.       Fall in love
8.       Get a job
9.       Read more
10.   Keep a journal

In my humble opinion, the whole idea of New Year’s Resolutions is a bit…off.  Though the beginning of a year is an excellent time to try to pick up new habits, I don’t think you can just sit down the night before and figure out what you’re going to do.  I think you need to start in early December building up the determination to really reach the goal, and then as January 1st rolls in, you “drop the hammer” and implement those changes.

That being said, I think it would be infinitely more entertaining if we could assign New Year’s resolutions to other people.  How wonderful would it be to walk up to that busybody in your life and hand them a card that says, “This year, you will resolve to mind your own business.”  And then have them actually try to do it!  Oh, the possibilities are endless once you get started thinking about it.

To my children:  You will resolve to obey your parents while keeping a good attitude.
To my dog:  You will resolve not to bark while the baby is sleeping, and you will quit eating paper products out of the unguarded trashcan, and you will not bother any unattended food on the kitchen table, and you will whine less…You know, on second thought, maybe my New Year’s resolution should be to just get rid of the dog.
To my wife:  Seriously?!  You don’t actually think I’d be foolish enough to write something here.

Anyway, you get the picture.  We could change the face of the New Year if we did this…or at the very least, we could make some yearlong enemies.  If you’re brave enough to try it, let me know how it turns out.
______________________
Disclaimer:  Surroundedbylife is not responsible for any bruising, maiming, injury, or relational issues brought on by following the advice in this blog.  You assign your wife a New Year’s resolution at your own risk.

3 comments:

  1. I think my husband read my mind as to the card I would hand him and he has been implementing it for 2 weeks now. WhOAAAAAA I'm afraid to think what his card to me might be; probably the last line mentioned in your paragraph above entitled: To my dog(just to start with). Through the year of 2011, I'm sure I would be presented with a card about once a month. LOL Thanks for posting and making me smile yet again this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW - My resolution for myself - spend more time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We would certainly welcome more time with you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete